Tips to Prepare Your Property for a Storm
As we enter the summer months in Massachusetts the chances of severe storms will increase. Now is a good time to inspect the property of your home or business to be sure you are prepared. Here are some preventative measures you can take to protect your property.
- Trim trees and clear limbs. Heavy winds can push limbs into your home causing structural damage or broken windows. Heavy rainfall can cause trees with shallow root systems to pull out of the ground
- Secure fences. Be sure your fences are secured properly so they cannot be lifted from the ground and thrown against your home.
- Secure furniture. If you have patio furniture outdoors make sure it is secured to the ground or bring it inside. Also, be sure playground equipment and/or toys are stored.
- Check gutters. Inspect your gutters twice a year for any damage. Have downspouts carrying water away from your home and clear gutters of any debris to ensure proper flow.
- Protect critical areas. Your roof, windows, and doors are vulnerable during extreme weather. Consider shutters or board-ups if you expect hurricane-like conditions.
- Protect what is most important. Document high-value items in your home in case of an insurance claim. Protect important documents from water damage and secure them.
- Stock and emergency kit. Have food, water, flashlights, radio, cell phone charger, batteries, and basic first aid supplies in case you lose power for an extended period.
- Create an emergency plan. Have an evacuation plan ready that you and your family can rely on if needed.
If you experience storm damage at your home, call SERVPRO to repair it. We will work directly with your insurance company through the claim so you do not have to.